Confident in colour


I don't know about you but when I'm picking out an outfit to wear each morning, I very much dress to my mood. If it's sunny and I'm happy I'll most likely wear pretty dresses, skirts and tops, if I'm feeling confident I'll wear skinny jeans, heeled boots and a leather jacket, if I'm really not feeling good the only clothes that I will feel happy going out in are my boyfriend's. This is something that I discovered when I was having a few 'off' days recently and I just wasn't feeling good in any of my own clothes. After about one hundred unsatisfactory outfit changes (slight exaggeration) I was running out of time before I had to leave the house so I quickly threw on one of Sam's jumpers and I instantly felt better. I don't know if it was the oversized fit, the cosy-ness or the smell of Sam's cologne that calmed me down but it's a trick that I'm so thankful to have discovered because it will now save me a lot of stress in the future when I'm having those horrible off days and I can't decide what to wear. 


During my move to Derby from Belfast I noticed that a large portion of my wardrobe consisted mainly of black and white clothes. Looking back this kind of makes sense because when I was living in Belfast, for the most part I was feeling quite down and unhappy; not really wanting to dress in happier, brighter colours. 


Since moving back to Derby, I've gradually been feeling happier in myself and my appearance and as a result have been wanting to wear more colourful clothes to reflect that. I've learnt though that it takes a certain level of confidence to feel comfortable wearing clothes that are brighter and have colour in them; a confidence that I once used to have but has been lost a little due to the unhappy period I went through and the comfort I found in darker, more neutral clothes. 


To try and ween myself out of the constant neutrals and monochromes and also gain back the confidence to rock happier outfits, I've been trying to gradually add pops of colour into my wardrobe. Red is a colour that I've found a new love for recently and this oversized vintage jumper that I thrifted a while back is the perfect stepping stone piece to gaining back my confidence to dress in colour. 


I still find myself drawn to black and white clothes when I'm out and about because I do have a genuine love for them but from now on I'm just going to try and balance out my wardrobe a little and work on feeling confident in colour on the days when I'm feeling happy and bright!


- S xo

Comments

Popular Posts