Wardrobe transitioning without splashing the cash




You've probably noticed by now that clothes are a big hobby of mine! I love buying them, I love wearing them, I love photographing them - everything! The only problem with this hobby of mine though, is that I don't always have the funds to support it. With every passing season I always find myself with the same dilemma; do I splash the cash on a wardrobe revamp? Or do I save my money and sensibly try to work with what I've already got? After a recent visit to Primark to buy some socks, and only socks, I noticed that they had lots of their lovely new Autumn bits in...which I actually managed to resist buying but let me tell ya, it was painful! As I was queuing up I suddenly felt inspired and I decided that when I got home I was going to go through my wardrobe, make up some new outfits and try to fall in love with my clothes again. 

For this post I've decided to share some of my new favourite outfits with you that I've created simply by digging in my wardrobe, picking a piece that I like but haven't worn recently and then styling it 3 different ways - almost like a capsule wardrobe kinda thing. I'm also going to divulge some of my tips and tricks for falling in love with your wardrobe again and feeling inspired by what you've got if you're wanting to save a few pennies this season. 

Piece #1: Slip dress

Outfit #1 - 90's gal


Outfit details
Slip dress: ebay (M&S Alexa chung)
Denim jacket: Primark
Mules: Primark
Accessories: Primark
Sunglasses: Thrifted
Bag: Thrifted (Moschino) 

Tip
Simply by switching up your jackets and shoes can sometimes give simple dresses a completely different look. During the Summer I love wearing this slip dress with a denim jacket and black mules for that laid-back 90's look, but for an edgier night-time vibe I would for sure swap the denim for leather and add some strappy heels. 


Outfit #2 - Pretty in Prints 


Outfit details
Slip dress: ebay (M&S Alexa Chung)
T-shirt: Thrifted
Vans: Schuh
Accessories: Primark
Bag: Thrifted (Moschino)

Tip
Mixing patterns and prints is so fun and the perfect solution sometimes for making a simple outfit a wee bit more interesting and eye-catching. I really love the black and white combo however adding in a splash of colour like a red t-shirt or a yellow bardot top could totally work too!


Outfit #3 - Comfy in Crochet


Outfit details
Slip dress: ebay (M&S Alexa Chung)
Jumper: Thrifted
Beret: Thrifted
Boots: Boohoo

Tip
Having pieces in your wardrobe that are perfect for layering are an essential in my eyes, especially if you don't want to be buying new clothes all the time yet want to keep your outfits looking fresh and new. Oversized jumpers and t-shirts are perfect for throwing over slip dresses especially as the weather starts to cool down and the seasons change.

Piece #2: Culottes

Outfit #1 - Summer Evening Glam


Outfit details
Bardot top: Asos
Culottes: Primark
Belt: H&M
Earrings: Primark
Necklace: Argento
Mules: Primark

Tip
Culottes are honestly so comfortable and have been my trouser of choice this Summer. Having a couple of plain coloured trousers in your wardrobe is wonderful because it means that you can pair them with pretty much any top at all! I always used to wear these green culottes with a black bodysuit however when I was going through my wardrobe recently, I found this little crop top and decided to try them together...and yanno what? I am now in love with this combo!


Outfit #2 - Keeping it Casual


Outfit Details
Culottes: Primark
T-shirt: Primark
Belt: H&M
Vans: Schuh
Accessories: Primark

Tip
Simple printed t-shirts are fab for pairing with pretty trousers to give a fun and casual look. They're never usually expensive either; I got mine from Primark but I've also bought lots from charity shops too! 


Outfit #3 - Turtle-neck Chic 


Outfit details
Turtle neck: River Island
Culottes: Primark
Belt: H&M
Boots: Boohoo
Accessories: Primark

Tip
As the weather begins to get cooler, you can still get a fair bit of wear out of your culottes by pairing them with cosy jumpers. Turtle necks help to create a very chic and sophisticated look especially when tucked into high-waisted trousers - they keep your figure looking fab whilst also keeping you cosy and warm. 


Piece #3: Jeans & a nice top

Outfit #1 - Light & Girly


Outfit Details
Top: Primark
Jeans: H&M
Espadrille wedges: Schuh
Bag: Thrifted
Necklace: Argento
Accessories: Primark

Tip
Everyone I'm sure, will have a pair of jeans in their wardrobe. They're perfect for any season and when paired with a simple pretty top, the outfit possibilities are endless! I find that adding shoes that give you a little bit of extra height help to dress jeans up a little and create the perfect casual, yet still looks like you made some effort, look.


Outfit #2 - Cute & Cosy


Outfit details
Top: Primark
Cardigan: Thrifted
Jeans: H&M
Converse: Schuh
Accessories: Primark
Hat: Depop

Tip
Summery tops can easily be brought into Autumn simply by adding a cosy chunky cardi over the top. This is a particular favourite look of mine to wear when the weather starts to get cooler and I'm still not ready to get rid of my pretty Summer pieces just yet. Again, this outfit can be dressed up with some heels if you would like, but for an easy, run-around, daytime outfit converse are perfect. 


Outfit #3 - Layering up


Outfit details
Top: Primark
Turtle neck: River Island
Jeans: H&M
Boots: Boohoo
Hat: Thrifted
Accessories: Primark

Tip
I've never really tried layering a darker coloured top under a lighter one before, but honestly, I now love it! If you have a pretty light coloured Summer top, just go ahead and layer a dark colour underneath - break the norm! It doesn't just have to be a black top either, you could try adding a pop of colour which would be so pretty!


I hope you enjoyed taking a wee peek into what I have in my wardrobe and the new combos of outfits that I'm going to be rocking this season! This was such a fun little challenge that I set for myself and I can hand-on-heart say that I truly do feel more inspired by my clothes again and the urge to buy more isn't quite as strong haha. 
I now challenge you to do the same; if you're feeling uninspired, go through your wardrobe and try to create some new outfits that you maybe wouldn't have thought of before - you may be surprised at what you find!

- S xo

Comments

Popular Posts