How I like to rest and de-stress


If you're anything like me, then you will know that sometimes life can get a little busy - with work, social engagements, relationships etc; especially at this time of year in the lead-up to Christmas. With so much going on it can be all too easy to just keep plodding through the busyness without any rest-stops, however, eventually there will come a breaking point. Some people thrive off of being busy and having a full schedule, however, I am not one of those people!

Even God wants us to rest sometimes, hence why he created the Sabbath (day of rest) which in Christianity is typically celebrated on a Sunday. I work in retail so I don't always have the luxury of indulging in rest every Sunday, so in order to keep myself sane and retain a love for life, I need to make sure that any free moments I get, are filled with things that make me happy. A big lesson that I've learnt over the last year or two is that regardless of how busy you may be, it's important and life-changing to learn to love the little things. Even something as mundane as a cup of tea in my favourite mug can boost my mood and it helps me to carry on through my day and retain a positive attitude.


When I get excited over small things, Sam always jokingly says "little things please little minds" which always makes me laugh because in an essence it's quite true. I don't see it as a bad thing though, I actually feel quite proud that I genuinely have such an appreciation for life and can take enjoyment from almost anything, especially after having suffered from bouts of depression in the past.

For this post I thought that I would compile a little list of some of my favourite things that make me happy when I have a free moment or two during a typical working week of mine.

#1 Skincare





I know that many girls will relate when I say that I love taking my make-up off at the end of the day! It's a special little moment when I feel like I'm washing away all of the stress from a busy day at work and I can finally breath again along with my skin. Keeping happy, healthy skin is something that I'm quite passionate about so even though it's something quite simple and mundane, I really enjoy it - especially when I use facemasks or products that my skin loves in return. My favourite product at the moment is the Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm from Botanics. Sometimes I use it to take my make-up off and sometimes I'll just use it as a little post-make-up removal treatment. The balm is infused with rose hip extracts which nourish and cleanse the complexion of the skin, whilst the hot cloth assists in drawing out impurities. Since I've started using this my skin has honestly never felt softer!


#2 Sweet Treats



Chocolate makes me happy, what can I say? It's honestly such a quick fix for almost any mood that I may be feeling and I love knowing that after a long day at work I will sometimes have a sweet treat to come home to. 

If I don't have chocolate then I will almost always have hot chocolate. I do love the drink itself but I love everything else that comes along with it. For example, often after making a hot chocolate (or other hot drink like tea or peppermint tea) I will cosy up in bed and watch a movie or some youtube videos that I've been saving and in that short time, I will just melt into my bed and forget about everything else for a little while. 


#3 Hobbies



In my opinion, hobbies are essential to have in a well balanced life! They can provide friends, relaxation, learning and enjoyment. I love photography (as you all well know) and I also really love photo editing. I find the whole process very therapeutic and I've noticed that it has also really trained my eye to see beauty in pretty much everything. Hobbies can provide such a positive outlet for different emotions and can leave you feeling refreshed and invigorated, ready for what the next day might bring. If you don't believe me, honestly just try doing something that you enjoy and see how you feel afterwards. If you feel like you don't have time for hobbies then make time, or do something small that doesn't really take up much time.



Reading is a good example of this kind of hobby because you can do it just about anywhere! Take a book along with you on your commute to work (as long as you're not the one driving), read during your lunchbreak instead of sitting on your phone, even read for 10 minutes before bed instead of swithching on the tv. These small little moments can make a huge amount of difference to your mood! (Reading the bible too, can also a be a good one for some solid encouragement and guidance!)


I could go on and on about all the little things that make me happy but those were the basics for now. Making time for friends, going to social events, and having time with God are also important, however they're maybe ones for another time haha. 

What are the little things that make you happy?

- S xo


Comments

Popular Posts